I grew up in upstate NY in an area where slugs were the only way to take deer, and not that that makes me an expert, but I do think this is a sound proposal:

"Twelve-gauge shotgun (fitted with a single 12guage barrel) using ammunition with a case length of no less than 69.85mm (2 ��) and using ammunition with a solid projectile of weight no less than 15.88grams (245gr). Shotgun must be fitted with rear and front sights and/or telescopic sights."

I would think that expanding the criteria to include 20 gauge loads would be a good thing (in part b/c Savage has a new awesome 20 gauge bolt gun w/Accutrigger, and that most of the guys I hunted with in NY moved to the 20 gauge b/c the guns and recoil were lighter than a comparable 12 gauge. A decreased effectiveness on game was not noted, FYI). 20 gauge slug loads should meet the 245 grain requirement. I would also recommend looking at what's commercially available in Australia in general and tempering the requirements with that info. It won't do any good to require something that isn't readily available.

I shot 5 deer with slugs before moving out west. Again, I don't pretend to be an expert but I do think they are a very viable way to kill deer and even elk, within the limits of their accuracy (and of course, the shooter's).

My $.02,
JV

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now