Originally Posted by oklahunter
Add language specifically allowing rifled barrels and chokes for shotguns to be used for big game. I'd concur on modifying the language to include 20 gauge shotguns. I'd suggest using the 230 grain weight single projectile language as that tracks the muzzleloader requirements.

Why again are you seeking to exclude double barrel guns?

Thanks for your comments ... more to think about. I'll add the 20guage and indeed mirror the 45cal muzzle-loader weights, that's a god idea. I feel both guages are 'better' than the muzzle-loaders. Reason I never added rifled barrels/chokes is I've used purpose built smoothbores (Combo guns) and the accuracy is certainly there for 100 yard shots so I wanted to be inclusive of these 'purpose built aimed' shotguns. I suppose that's also why I discounted a straight double gun ... I seriously think it'd be viewed with enough negativity to 'sink the entire ship' so to speak. Over here they'd rather legislate (cheap option) than enforce (man hours/wages/costly) illegal behaviour.

Regarding our seasons ... Hog deer and Red deer have seasons during which any of the legal means may be employed. Sambar are year round during which any legal means may be used. The idea of 'muzzle-loader only', 'shotgun only' etc seasons would never be supported by hunters who are predominantly rifle users. We have about 22,000 licenced deer hunters in a population of about 4 million, we're pretty small fry compared to the United States but issues surrounding safety, animal welfare, land access etc... is rearing its head on a more regular basis. Animal welfare groups are also inceasingly vocal. We have the odd situation were deer (all introduced to Australia) are both looked at as 'game' on the one hand, but also as 'feral' animals to be eradicated on the other.
Cheers...
Con