Once fell a 4 ft DBH pine with a chain saw that had a 12" bar.lol Which would start a new thread on which is the right saw to use for felling trees like 6.5 Creedmoor for 600yrd elk which in the right hands works just like the 12 inch bar works in the righ hands. lol

Actually, I am glad you brought that up because it is a prime example of shooting Elk at 600 yards.As far as the 12" saw goes on a 4ft diameter tree....

It's harder on the saw and bar and way more prone to "error" which could lead to loss of limb or permanent disability, or even death. They make saws for falling large tree's that do it with ease with less chance of error.

Error and the odds of it are whats at stake for the normal Joe, shooting,or trying to,Elk at 600 yards.To me it is a stunt/bragging rights or showing off,not hunting but that is my opinion growing up and having seen it done a few times and saw what can happen "even to the best"......Which is far less likely at shorter ranges as is trying to fall a 4" diameter tree with a 12" bar.One should pass on both!

But that's just my opinion based on seeing it done over the years more than just a couple times."error" can happen to you or anyone, know matter how good they think they are.Shooting 600 yards at the shooting range is far different than shooting across a deep and steep Idaho canyon with winds you can't see or detect.

Do you know how many experienced loggers have been hurt from winds from know where, and there out there every day or helicopters and fixed winged downed by sudden shifts or gust in wind totally unexpected?

Maybe thats where a guy wounds one at 600 yards and it runs over the hill and someone else shoots it,not knowing it was hit,and the party starts as to who's Elk is it? grin

Jayco