The two main things I hunt is Elk and Mule Deer. I usually hunt in the transition zone of the Colorado Plateau (the Prescott national forest if your familiar with AZ). This is a mix of grasslands, Juniper forests and up to Ponderosa pine forests. We usually find our self in 17A - 17B (grassland and junipers). We have several hill tops that we frequent where we usually spot them as far out as a 1000 yrds. We often have shot opportunities from the hill tops of 400-600 yrds. I have passed on everything over 300 due to my substandard equipment. However stocking onto a deer in the Arizona high country isn't the easiest thing to do. Sometimes you'll get a ridge you can sneak up behind and pop over (this works great when I have dad watching the buck from the hill top). However I rate my stalking skills at weekend warrior levels.
That is all going to change I am getting all the right gear and going to put in the practice that is needed. I want to be able to take that hill top shot if I have the opportunity.

I assume that 2.5-8x36 is sufficient for elk (we grow them big here in AZ) but will that be a little week for mule deer?

Last edited by ShizerJack; 06/19/11.

Outstanding. Now all we need is a deck of cards.