Originally Posted by battue
Correct. Amazing that many here underestimate the destructive power of a shotgun at close range.

At 10-20 feet an ounce of 7.5s will knock-and probably kill-the biggest Canadian Buck that ever lived on his azz pretty much right now. Proper location, being a given. grin

At that distance, one ounce of shot-the equivalent of 437grains-going 1200fps is pretty much one ball of solid shot.

Until it strikes an object and begins to break up into separate small individual pellets. That swarm of small shot does not have the penetration properties as one ball of solid shot (slug). I won't argue against 7.5's at 20 feet, but a slightly larger shot like #4's would better assure correct depth of and more complete penetration. Remember, the attacker might be drugged or drunk, could be quite large in size, and possibly wearing heavy clothing. At least for me personally a 1 1/8th ounce field load of #4's would be more comforting without over doing it inside the house. Personally, I like the specially formulated low recoil BB- size shot even better.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.