Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by dogzapper

The Winchester .308" 180-grain PowerPoint is a superb elk bullet in the .30-'06. Both expansion and penetration are excellent. The ain't glamorous, but they sure as heck get the job done.

As an aside, my very favourite bullet in the .338-'06 is the Winchester 200-grain PowerPoint.
Steve

Where can you get 338 200 grain PP? Win site does not list them.

Ed,

The last I saw were at the Olde Country Scrounger. Dangerous Dave had a scad of them.

I bought my supply back in the early 1980s. The bullet shot like a demon in my .338-06 and killed deer, bear and elk better than any bullet I'd ever seen. So I bought 2,000.

I just checked my hidey-hole and I have a little over 700 left.

Oh yeah, there's a couple boxes of .338 250-grain Silvertips, too.

Anyway, the performance of the Winchester .338 200-grain PowerPoint in the .338-'06 is beyond compare. The bullet always expands back to the cannelure and no more.

Recovered expanded bullets typically open to .800" or more and average 170-grains (85% weight retention).

Here are two bullets I pulled from critters. The bullet on the left killed a hell of a big black bear squared well over seven-feet and the carcass weighe 378-pounds ... bastard growled at me grin

The right bullet went lengthwise through a 6X6 bull elk. He was peeking at me through a jackpine and his horns were way over the top ... guess the silly schit thought he was hidden and I couldn't see him.

Anyway, I busted him just under the chin; the bullet coursed the full neck, blew the aorta to smithereens, de-saced the heart, split the liver in two and ended up �-inch to the left of his bunghole. When I rolled him over and shoved my filet knife up hit twitchel, I scraped the bullet. Penetration equals the FULL LENGTH of a big 6X6 bull elk.

That is dandy performance out of a "little tiny" round like the wimpy .338-'06.

Oh, the 6X6 elk and the seven-foot beat. They were both DOA ... had to track them ... three-feet straight down.

Hey, did you miss the "Steveisms" in bullet performance and how critters die????

Pax,

Steve

[Linked Image]

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397