Originally Posted by Flinch
� If you want an exit hole and smaller wound channel, shoot an X, partition or bonded bullet of some flavor. If you want stirred up innards and a dead on the spot critter, shoot a BT or SST. I like them dead right now, right on the spot. Give me a BT or SST. Tracking is for archery wink Flinch

One reason I like the North Forks is that they do �stir up the innards� but they also hold together and penetrate well. One cow made it all of 15-20 yards but the rest of the game I�ve shot with NF�s went straight down at the shot. Of two cows that got back up, one never moved from the spot and the other went down for good a couple steps later with a quick follow-up shot � a shot that I don�t believe was really necessary but was taken as a matter of my �shoot until they stay down� policy. A 6x6 bull didn�t drop immediately, but it never moved and fell sideways just as I was about to deliver a second shot. I drove a 7mm 140g NF lengthwise through a mulie buck, ham to sternum, and there was plenty of �stir� to the vitals � so much that it was on the ground before I recovered from the recoil. NF�s don�t always give an exit but they have yet to disappoint.

Ditto with the MRX and TTSX. Excellent accuracy and no animals that have gone more than a few steps � and most less than that. Even on antelope the TTSX show signs of rapid expansion with lots of �stir� as a result. I�ve driven them lengthwise through mule deer, with an exit. My hunting buddy has used Trophy Bonded with the same results I�ve had with the MRX/TTSX - deep penetration, lots of �stir� and no bullets recovered.

Because one never knows what angles will be involved when elk hunting, and because on bad angles from the south side I much prefer a bullet that will hold together and make it to the vitals, I�ll stick with bullets that perform well on the good angles but can handle the bad.

Light C&C bullets, driven fast, need not apply here except for varmint duty. To each their own, however.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.