This bison hunt was my one-month-early birthday present. I have been wanting to take a bison with my Miroku Winchester .45-90 since I bought it new a few years back. Since I had not loaded any cast 405 grain bullets for the hunt, my PH friend suggested that I use the 450 grain Kodiak FN FMJ bullets left over from his African bullet testing hunt with my rifle. So, I said sure, only 50 grains different, right? blush
Bottom line was that 1/2 inch holes in the ribs and lungs do not impress a bison much and it took one just under the spine to even get its attention. It must not have liked us getting within 50 yards, so it took off running left to right and rather than wait for it to die from internal bleeding, I put one of the big flat nosed bullets right on the shoulder and it piled up in a big Bison heap. This impressive reaction to the shot caused Joe to use his mobile phone to call the loader of his custom ammo to find out the muzzle velocity from the 26 inch octagon barrel; after a brief pause he relayed to me that the MV was 2150 fps! No wonder the solid shoulder hit brought it down.

[Linked Image]

Well, the medallions of backstrap are delicious. Sunday night, the night before my actual birthday, the ladies of the house treated me to the medallions with gravy, wild rice with mushrooms, salad, wine, and for desert, a Texas peanut butter pan cake with chocolate sauce drizzled on it and a side of Blue Bell vanilla ice cream.
And me with no after-dinner cigar!

Makes me want to go shoot something! smirk

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/