Originally Posted by bamagun01
Can anyone give me some information on what holsters they use for sidearms while backpacking. I am headed on a back country fishing trip into Griz country and will be carrying a Taurus 44mag ultra-lite. The pack I'll be using is an Osprey. There really isn't any place to carry a holster on the hip belt or shoulder straps that I can tell. I found one on the net that fits like suspenders on the chest. I have even considered mounting it underneath for easy access. Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

I've been using a El Paso Saddlery tankerman's holster for my short Super Blackhawk. The leather is thin enough not to be a problem under the pack straps. It's a little heavy for the width of the strap but acceptable. I think it'd be great for your Taurus.

I used to pack an identical .44 in an uncle mike's vertical shoulder holster. I was surprised a bit, but it didn't conflict with the shoulder straps or hip belt either.

With my frame packs, high ride hip holsters typically work ok, they fit in that gap between the pack frame, webbing, and my hip bone. With an internal frame pack or big day pack with a belt that fits tight clear around, that doesn't work out.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...