Originally Posted by rj308
This is strictly commentary and I am not saying that anything in Waynes book is not correct. But I don't understand why a sear in any fire control system would be made of relatively soft metal. Just the fact that the hammer sear surface has the hammer springs force bearing on the trigger sear, dictates that the sear surfaces should be hardened. Secondly, I know some light pull trigger systems ate attributed to sear angles or compound systems, but many are light due to being engineered for minimum engagement of the sear surfaces. And third,the McGee "set screw" is mounted to the solid receiver, so if it fits snugly and is loctited, it should provide consistent sear engagement. Just my opinion.

Actually it's NOT the sear that is soft on the Brownings 1885s but rather the sear hook on the TRIGGER itself.

Basically, it is a piece of half hard 1/8" thick steel sandwiched in the pot metal trigger blade.

The Miroku made 1885 sear itself is glass hard. and if you limit the sear engagement on the browning trigger , you WILL get unsafe trigger pulls.

The reason why the factory settings have so much creep is to prevent premature wear.

What is really needed is a solid tool steel custom trigger with a sear engagement screw in it.

I built a one off trigger from A-2 tool steel in the late 1990s for my BPCR 1885 and it held up fine. Better than the Crackerjack prize factory trigger.

No matter what the sear engagement setting a Browning trigger simply is not safe when set much lower than 24ounces.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt