Originally Posted by rj308
Jim62, Thank you for the info on the Browning 1885 trigger system. I have personally not been "inside" one, so your info gives me a little better understanding of the system. I am contemplating installing the McGee mod in my 1885 high wall. I will not set it for a trigger pull of less that 2 pounds.

Glad to report what I found. I bought at least 10 of the 1885 Brownings, High wall, BPCR and Low walls from about 1996 to 1999.

I tuned several of the triggers and was sort of astounded at how cheesy made the trigger blade itself was compared to that super hard all steel sear.

I ran an 0-80 Allen screw diagonally up through the trigger into the sear notch so I could adjust the engagement without permanently cutting the trigger sear insert down..

Once I adjusted the trigger fairly creep free, it was sort of scary how often I had to adjust it for more engagement due to the wear. A gunsmith friend of mine tested the trigger sear insert with a set of Rockwell files and he said it was about as hard as key stock from the hardware store. That is about what I thought when I worked on them.

Last edited by jim62; 09/08/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt