Good stuff gang. No doubt Dennis the long cases will outrun the short ones on the meter, but knowing how MORE impact speed can hamper penetration due to great frontal area, figured the real penetration say between a 338F vs. 338/06 or Whelen/350RM would be close.

Deertracker, thanks - seen that link actually recently myself. No doubt 'dead is dead' and I have not seen many 338F users complain. Have to search the 200 Fusion, might be very close I would think.

ON the application in question here, is 300 yds, NA game, rifle would be a 20-21" carbine.

As much as I like the 338/06 - I'd probably choose a 9.3x62 just b/c I have not run one...yet. ON the 35 Whelen, like the ballistics, but would likely opt to run the short action 350RM for twin results...though you do lose mag capacity, the advantage I see in the 08/06 based rounds.

Dober - read many good reviews on the 185 Barnes, and wonder how sensitive the OAL is to achieve optimum results. Are we talking > MOA in your rifle? No doubt the TSX/TTSX may not shoot bugholes like an NBT but I recall several guys getting MOA in the 185.

On the 200/210 note- I agree, normally never a fan of short for cal bullets, but can overlook bc when range is modest (as here under 300 yds) and the bullet is a Barnes which will FINISH a job weighing more than a cup/core that starts a good bit heavier.

I also agree on the 225 choice for the 358W. The short rounds I agree - lack the powder to drive the 'heavies' to their optimum speeds for trajectory.

No doubt, for the short rounds, and given a Barnes being long for cal, a Partition in 210 for 33 or 225 for the 35 may well be the best overall choice for fitting in a short mag box. At these speeds I figure a cup/core like a 200gr in the 338 would hold up well on impact.

Dennis, what's your experience sure in 185-210s in the 338F? Any updates?

No doubt, the longer actioned rounds are 'superior' on paper and for longer ranges but looking at a carbine, I just think a short action goes really well with a 20-21" whereas I like a 22-23" for a long action due to looking right and burning the extra powder.