Originally Posted by Sherwood
I hunted A Zone for many years when we lived near Vacaville. But rarely observed deer larger than gnarly forked horn bucks. The photo shows a lucky morning for me in 1992. My best blacktail buck (4 X 4) was taken in Trinity County back in 1991. Long and hot hike into the back country but it was worth it!

Which county did you take your trophy? Reminds me of a wild portion of Colusa County.

Thanks for sharing.

Sherwood

Thanks Sherwood.
You had it right the first time, I live near Lake Berryessa in north eastern Napa County.
I'm fortunate to have access to several very large parcels of private ground, even then it ain't easy finding big blacktail bucks.
Four pointers (10 point eastern) are exceedingly rare.
I hunted nearly every day of the six week rifle season and passed up dozens of bucks trying to find the biggest I could, even then the two I was focusing on gave me the slip in the rough country and heavy cover.

That Trinity county is my favorite for big Blacktails, it has superb feed & genetics and rough enough country to allow them to survive to maturity.
It hurts me every time I hunt there, but it's a good kind of hurt.
grin

Originally Posted by JGRaider
Thanks for the great story and pics. I always look forward to your posts. Great stuff.

Thanks JGR!
You are one of the good guys.

Originally Posted by huntsonora
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Thanks for the great story and pics. I always look forward to your posts. Great stuff.

X2! I feel like I know you and your son and am thankful that you share all of your hunting trips with us

Thanks Drummond, I feel the same way about you.

Thanks to the rest of you guys too, I hope to see your successes here later this fall.

Proud NRA Life Member