ShootOne,

It's hard to argue with safariman and Flinch's logic.

I've come full circle.

Started deer hunting 27 yrs ago at the age of 16 with a 30.06. Dad owned a Pre-64 Model 70 in 30.06 Springfield. This was the ultimate, all-around big game rifle and caliber in his mind and he despised the 270. Who was I to argue.

A few years later I began hunting elk with a friend in college who owned a 300 Win Mag.

Shortly after that I owned a 300 and it was a heck of an accurate rifle. Took my first elk with it at a little over 300 paces and I was sold. Problem was it kicked like a mule but I didn't care at the time.

Now, at 43yrs old, and having owned several 300 mags, I have come to the conclusion that the good old ought-six would have done just fine in every situation I've found myself in as far as pulling the trigger on an elk is concerned. Furthermore, it kicks a heck of alot less and therefore is more pleasant to shoot. And, it is more practical for deer hunting, IMO.

Today, I own a great 270 Win(despite dad's razzing) and an awfully accurate 7mm Rem Mag amongst other calibers. In fact I hunted the 7mm last month during Utah's elk season. It too is a great all-around caliber.

But, when I chose a couple of years ago to build a custom the 30.06 got the nod.
Mine puts 180 grain Nosler Accubonds into itty-bitty groups at 2,830 fps and fits me like no other rifle I own. In fact, it was along for the ride this year out in Utah but, just so happens that I own several rifles now that I am ever so fond of and the 7mm Rem just happened to be in my hands when the hammer fell, so to speak.

Having said all this, if I was to build my custom all over again specifically with elk in mind I wouldn't change a thing, 30.06 would still get the nod. With modern powders and 165-180gr Nosler Partitions and Accubonds or 150-168gr Barnes T-TSX an .06 is essentially as effective as any 300 Mag would be in my book, at least to as far as I'm willing to shoot at elk is concerned(400 yds).

I no longer own a 300 win mag. It is a great caliber no doubt. But, IMO standard calibers are all that's needed today with the new powders and premium bullets we are fortunate to have in such variety and the 30.06 is at the top of my list.

Good luck with the build, Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 11/10/11.