Originally Posted by Brad
My experience with RL17 is that Allian's 300 WSM data is INSANE.

With multiple 300 WSM's I couldn't get close to the listed loads or velocities without pressure signs.

I've also heard that RL17 is not in fact a "new" powder but is a slightly reformed Swiss powder originally developed for the 7.5mm Swiss... can't confirm it though.

I couldn't get close either.I tried some in my 300WSM with 165gr bullets and got 3160fps with 65.0grs of R-17 with a 2" group and with 66.0grs I got 3225fps with 66.0grs of R-17 with a 4" groups.Alliant shows 68.0grs as max.I didn't even shoot the other loads I had made up,I just knew I better stop when I did.Great velocities but,it could have something to do with my short throat in my 300WSM.I could be getting a pressure spike way before I get to a max load.I know I'm not up against the lands,but my best loads with this rifle usually get just over 3000fps with a 165gr bullet.Now my 300 Win Mag is a different story.It does remarkably well with R-17.72.5grs of R-17 gives me 3220fps with a 180gr bullet and 1/2"groups.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............