Look for a 4-H Shooting Sports program or maybe a club sponsored youth program. Teaching kids to shoot is what we do, we even provide properly fitting shotguns. Of course safety and proper range conduct comes first. Kids shooting with other kids in a friendly, low pressure environment helps.

Not expensive, there's a $10/$15 family membership to the range where we shoot (trap) to cover insurance and I think it's another $15 per shooter - I avoid the administrative part the best I can. Shooting Sports is apart from other 4-H activities so you can participate in that with no other 4-H involvement. No limit to how many rounds a kid can shoot, the more rounds they shoot the more we like it. We have the support of community charitable trusts for grants to cover birds etc. and buy cheap shells in bulk which we sell at as much of a discount to the kids as funds allow.

The biggest factor is shotgun fit, both for good shooting and comfort. Next the shooter dictates how many rounds to fire, some are ready to stop after a few and others are tickled to shoot a full round right off. The worst thing you can do is let it get not fun any more.

Here we start in June when the weather gets nice and go through the state tournament which is some time in September. Most enjoy qualifying for the tourney but competition is down on our list of what we want to accomplish, fun and personal development after safety.

We also do archery over the winter, which is about to start.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.