Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
dennissinaz you do not have an AR-10, you have something built on a P308 lower. cheechako, you do not have an AR-10 you have something built on a LR-308 lower.

Only Armalite makes the AR-10.

Now dennussinaz, I have no clue who Justin at Quentin Defense is, and while I'm sure he's a nice guy, everyone has opinions and if he is selling billet lowers, then you can be sure he will say they are the best and there is no need for forged receivers.

This is the same thing we find with people who sell piston ARS when they say piston is the only way to go. Or people who sell hammer forged barrels, or people who sell cut barrels or people who sell button-rifled barrels. According to these people their way is the best, their product is the best and the others are not nneded.

If forged was not needed, why does DPMS offer all their AR-15 receivers as forged? I would think the AR-15 shooting the diminutive .223 Rem will certainly not need to deal with stresses greater than an AR-type rifle firing the much larger .308 Win.

Quentin defense manufactures lowers, uppers and complete rifles. They have several large Govt. contracts. I have shot many AR-15 type rifles that have plastic, composite or whatever you want to call them, lowers. His point and mine is that the lower does not need to be made of 7000 series aluminum to be strong enough. A billet lower made of 6061 is several times stronger than a composite one.

7074 is used because it is a CHEAPER manufacturing process when one is making enough volume to justify the machinery. Apparently 6061 is not well suited to forging. Don't ever confuse yourself that a DPMS lower is the equivalent to a POF, Sun Devil, Quentin Defense, Seekins precision et al. They are all billet and with the exception of Seekins, are made of 6061. As far as the piston system. I won't get into that argument. I can see it both ways. I am not building a piston gun but rather a direct impingement system gun.

I agree that my rifle is NOT an AR-10, I was just tacking onto his post. Most accurately, it is an AR-260Rem (or will be). Fundamentally, however, they are the same. Only thing is the parts aren't interchangeable.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.