Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
I have a Rock River Arms LAR-8 in 308. My brother has one in .243 Winchester and both are very accurate. The 308 can be bought as a complete gun, but the 243 and 7-08 are bought as a LAR-8 lower reciever and the complete upper of the caliber you want. One thing to remember about the RRA LAR-8, is the .243 and 7-08 can not use the FAL mags like the 308 chambering.

My brother's .243 Predator shoots 80gr Speer bullets under .75" all day and puts the 105gr Speer SP under 1" with no load development at all.

Well, since the lower determines the mag, and the 243 and 7-08 are on the 308 case, why can't you use FAL mags?

this doesn't make sense to me.

That is what we thought too, but there is a difference. shocked The follower of the RRA 243 mag has a longer raised section than the FAL mag, and the lips along the side are longer. crazy If you try to load a FAL mag with 243 winchester cartridges, they pop out or tip up at the nose. eek

I told my brother he should try building out the raised section on a FAL follower to see if that allows the 243 to feed correctly. confused

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.