Originally Posted by 340mag
Originally Posted by dogzapper

How about the 154 Hornady Interlock used on a full-grown Asian water buffalo bull??? Not an elk, but a considerably larger, heavier and more vital critter.

A few years ago, I whacked a water buffalo at about fifty yards. He was broadside and I shot him through both carotid arteries. I experienced complete penetration of the neck, including the two-inch++ thick hide on both sides.

From my position, the bull just fell in the knee-deep snow and disappeared from view. All I could see was the incredibly white snow and a RED FOUNTAIN OF BLOOD gushing waaay up into the air at ever pumping of his heart.

Then, the fountain shortened, and shortened a little more and then stopped.

I knew the shot would be short, so I down-loaded the 154-grain Hornady bullets to 2,800 fps. I could not have asked for a better buffalo killer.

Steve

just curious.... water buffalo ...white snow just don,t seem to go together well, where was this

No problem. Karen and I hunted on the Clover Creek Ranch out of Ashwood, Oregon.
While we were there, between Christmas and New Years, the highest temperature we saw was 5�F and the next morning it dove to -7�. The snow was knee-deep down by the bunkhouse and mid-thigh up top where we eventually ran into the Asian water buffalo and yaks.

Karen whacked a yak and I very carefully ended the career of a nice buff.

The conditions were tough.

God Bless,

Steve

http://clovercreekranch.net/

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397