I have a 6.5 WSM on a Savage action. Sadly it has been in my safe for 4 months and I haven't had time to shoot it cry.
I also have a 264 WM. The 264 has a heavy 29.5" Lilja barrel on it. The 6.5 WSM has a lightweight 28" Pac-Nor barrel on it.
I think the barrel burner concept is over rated. Maybe in the 50's when metalurgy wasn't as advanced as it is now it was a problem. I have had people tell me that a 243 is a barrel burner. Yes I have seen 243, 264, 7STW and even 30-06 barrels shot out. I have the contour of my barrels set up to allow me to set them back 2" if I ever shoot them out. So far even my 6-284 is in good shape. If you shoot out a barrel - replace it - or get another rifle and divide your shooting time. I have 3, new to me, rifles that I haven't shot yet!! Where do ya get the time to shoot out a barrel confused?
Lee makes dies for the 6.5 WSM based on the 300 WSM shoulder spec. I think around $35.
If it were a 6.5/300 Wby I would start to worry about barrel life. Other than that, get a 6.5 WSM or a 264 and shoot away.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right