Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I think the choices boil down more to what type rifle you want, and what velocity levels you hope to achieve, with which bullet weights,rather than any inherent supriority of one round over the other.Obviously there will be some overlap in peformance.

For a whispy mountain weight rifle,of light to moderate recoil,the smaller 7mm's like the 7/08,7x57,284,or 280 fill the bill.

For a rifle of a bit more weight,and for tossing the heaviest 7mm bullets at high velocity,the larger 7mm's take over.

For a general purpose BG rifle to be used on everything, everywhere,to me the standouts would be the 280,280AI,7 Rem Mag,7mmWSM,7 Weatherby,7mm Dakota,STW.In a wildcat,the Mashburn Super.These will vary a little bit here and there.

Everyone will have their favorites.Choosing a "best" is a waste of time.Was anyone concerned we don't have enough choices? smile

Bob did not disappoint me in his recommendations. Sentence after sentence I read, then there it was, he inserted the MASHBURN SUPER. The man just can not help himself. grin

Roundoak: Well, hell....throw me some slack! grin

I mean I've already used and killed stuff with most all of the other one's! I can't help it if it's the best of the whole damn bunch.... whistle grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.