Bill,
my Lucy did for me this year what you're looking for. She's a 2.5 y/o Weimaraner that came into her own in the pheasant fields this year. She does get to run with me at least 3 days per week, and if we don't run, I ride bike and she runs. She's much calmer than most GWPs I've worked with or run into, but in the field she worked hard and tight, sometimes even too tight, but when she caught scent she went nuts, the good kind of nuts, as in she doesn't leave a scent until she finds the bird. We didn't lose ANY pheasants this year in any cover, including cattails and the CRP you're referring to, she was great at picking up clipped birds. She does water retrieve, but I haven't had her in a duck hunting situation yet, just working with the dummies on blind retrieves and directions, and obviously sight retrieving. Right now she's laying on the floor next to Grace, our 8 y/o before they head for school. She's good with the kids and lets us know when people show up at the door. I wouldn't take her waterfowling in cold weather like a Lab or Chessie will handle, but she does fine in the field down to at least zero, and we run outside below that as well.

Last edited by selmer; 01/18/12.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile