I agree, 30' or even less depending on the method, where the baitfish are, etc ...

My experience with silvers/cohos in SC AK is more often than not people would troll too deep. Usually, I'd troll at 20' knowing that fish will come up to a bait vs not going down to chase bait. Flashers help in that regard and are extremely effective but not mandatory. When you're drifting, mooching or power mooching with a only plug cut herring it helps to have the bait at the same depth level as the majority of fish. Depths can vary more using these methods.

There's always exceptions and a fish finder is your best friend when it comes to figuring out where the fish are. Overall, the vast majority of silvers I've caught are with baits/lures set at 20' to 35'.

I ran into one exception out of Seward with silvers where they were actively feeding on the bottom in 125' of water. The tail half a herring on a single 4/0 hook (30" leader) dropped to the bottom with a 2 1/2 oz wt resulted in instant hook ups for hours. I had some inexperienced friends that couldn't feel the bites and more often than not the rod would simply go slack. One nibbly, the rod goes slack and ten seconds later a silver would explode on the surface thrashing and trying throw the hook. It was fun to watch.

The one and only time I fished in SE we caught the majority of our fish (silvers) in close where it was only 35' to 50' deep. We were fishing near kelp beds and the silvers were thick as could be. We got tired of trolling (it was too easy) and switched to a plug cut herring just dangling 15' below the boat. It was kick in the azz to watch the fish swim by and nail the bait.

Good thing about silvers is they are extremely aggressive and not too finicky about baits, lures, rigs or methods.

Sound about right Calvin?

Is this similar to you've found out about fishing for silvers in SE? You're the resident expert.