Pretty much. Cohos are some of the stupidest fish alive, and it doesn't take much to catch them. They exist for one reason in Aug, and that is to eat and gain weight for the trip up river. I personally detest cohos, except when I'm selling them.

Nothing is worse than slow coho fishing. "good" coho fishing is a limit in about an hour, but that'd be pretty tough for a greenhorn. (6 is your limit) Some days are a scratch, and those are good days to pound rockpiles with those jigs.

If salmon is your aim, get out at first light. I like to leave in the dark and make my first pass before it's too light for the fish to bite.. see where they are on the sounder. Then on the second pass when you have enough light, you pound em. You'll catch most of your fish in those first 5 passes. I can't tell you how many kelp lines I've cleaned off before the next boat showed up. The best way to stack them is to mooch, unless you are really handy with downriggers. Cohos are fun though, especially when they get over 9lbs. Early cohos average 6lbs and are a pain in the ass, as they are bait stealers and leave scales all over the boat.