Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
When I went in for yesterday's oil change, I finally got their attention by telling them the "low engine oil" warning message was displayed. [I checked it immediately after it popped up, & found there was still oil on the stick, but it was below the last marker. Since it was only 2 days 'til the scheduled oil change, I let it ride.] They said that since it had used 1 qt. in the last 1,660 miles, they were finally going to do something about it. [sarcasm]Mighty big of them, I thought. [/sarcasm]

Anyway, they're going to take it for a week, & give me a loaner. They said it will get pistons & rings, & possibly even heads and/or valves. Methinks 'twould be cheaper for them to just replace the engine.

No, I'm not at all happy that a truck with < 72K miles needs this kind of work, nor am I happy that they dragged their feet this long to agree to do it. But I do take some small measure of comfort that they're going to rebuild an engine 5 years after the in-service date, especially given that I bought the thing used.

Since it looks like I'll be spending my would-be truck money on lawyers this year, I'm hoping their latest "fix" actually is one, and gets me through for a few years.

I'll post an update after they're done adulterating my power plant.

FC

is it the 4/6/8 motor. Of course there are internet rumors to he effect that the cylinders not powered are causing a higher then normal oil consumption rate. You can Google it and one of the fixes was some sort of baffle that would keep oil from splashing on the non powered cylinders. On my 2004 it averages 1/2 quart every 4K if that . Good to see that they are at least attempting to fix it but they do have a 100k powertrain on those anyway if I am not mistaken.