Originally Posted by writing_frog

Hi GV, was more tourism than hunting, as i told you, i put brakes on shooting this year, even if i put down some.

The following pictures are from the place where i hunt mouflon. Here the wild boars are not skinned but shaved as we used to do every where years before. The meat is better, smoother, tastier when cooked in "sauce" (daube de sanglier) or when you want to make salted or smoked ham.
first the animal is drived into wery warm water, almost boiling, for a very short time (5 to 10 seconds) then hunters shave hairs, after that wild boar is gutted and cleaned (note this practice is done when weather is cold).

Hunting is collective, meat is shared between all hunters, some is saved for old hunters or people from that very small village who don't hunt any more. It's tradition, coming back to ages long gone by. A thing most anti hunters can't understand or even imagine. We hunt for pleasure and for meat, nothing is waisted. Dogs get their share too.

When the season is over, at the beginning of spring, we organise a big feast, with children and wifes, eating products from the hunt. Every body bringing in its own specialty.

That close the season and prepare the new one to come.

[Linked Image]

Here a small boar ready to be shaved
[Linked Image]

this boar was 190lbs ungutted.
[Linked Image]

Scalding and scraping of the hog is the way the old folks in Appalachian Mountains prepared their winter's meat. Most usually the "hog killins" took place in late October or early November. The whole community would gather and help one another with the work.

My grandparents did it that way when I was a small boy. Some folks in the mountains still do it this way.

By far the best sausage I ever had was made during these affairs.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.