Some common themes in feedback:

Check your bedding. Might check the action screws first. Two shot group usually has something moving. When you fire, the action is bouncing back and forth between two spots.

Free floating the barrel will help with this, because it will eliminate the varying pressures caused by the little nub up towards the front of the stock, and the metal heating up and expanding.

Rear screw FIRST, then front screw. I like to do this slowly and switch back and forth.

Double check your stock, and make sure it's not making contact (free floated to the lug)

I agree with those who say keep the barrel cool and check the bedding.

I can almost guarantee a vertically stringing group is due to harmonics, which are inconsistent. If you want consistency, the barrel has to be free floated, and the action screws torqued, rear bolt first.

IV) - Loose stock fixings-two groups may form from shots in any order.

� As soon as I see vertical or horizontal stringing I know I have a pet load to work with, try small changes in seating depth until you find the sweet spot. It won't be too far away from where you are at.
� Something you'll hear over and over again about "2 in, 1 out" type of groups is to try seating in a little deeper. Lots of guys have seen groups shrink and become nice tight little triangles or clusters with that method.
� Need to play with the distance off the lands. With that much vertical dispersion the bullet has to be leaving the barrel midway through the cycle instead of at the top or bottom of the oscillation.

I'd suggest free floating first. If that does not help then check to see if the bedding is stressing ones action. The way I check that is to install a gridded bore sighter and note the crosshair coordinates. Loosen ones action screws and see if the coordinates change at all. If there is any shift at all, then bed the receiver in a completely relaxed state. I had to do that to a Weatherby Mark V and it came around beautifully.

I have new mounts on the way from Weatherby (not a fan of the current mounts, plus my other Weatherbys have the same mounts).
I'll pull the stock center the barrel. I'll also seat the bullets to 0.020" from 0.015" and see what happens.

If I have the same problem I'll shim to free float and try again. If I need to I'll bed the action.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001