My first came in 1999, the year after I graduated college and started hunting. Never even thought about it until I got married and my wife bought me a lifetime hunting license as a wedding gift.

I had went out the evening before with my wife's sister's boy friend, now husband, and set on top of a old hay swather. We watched several dear come up off the river and up to the wheatfields to eat. One little spike buck walked traveed a path about 100 yards from us, and I never even thought about shooting him. On our way back to the truck, Kent said I should have shot that deer. I was like really, it was awful small. He said heck ya i should have. So the next mornign i got up before everyone else did, eat a slab of pecan pie and had a Dr pepper and headed down to the swather to shoot that spike and redeme my man card for letting it walk the night before.

As the sun came up this guy was following the same trail, heading back down to the river. He was walking straight at me, I placed the crosshairs in the center of his chest at the base of his neck, pulled the trigger, and he dissapeared. I jumped off the swather and ran over to the buck, didnt know what to do and went back to the house and got my wifes grand pa, who showed me how to gut a deer. Now I get to return the favor by gutting all his, and he sure likes to kill.

[Linked Image]