Well, whatever you do, do not bother ordering grits at a Cracker Barrel restaurant. I have tried them at several locations and they have no clue as to making a decent pot of grits. They do not not make them with salt or butter, thinking that the customer can add salt to taste. Does not work worth a dang for grits. Salt must be boiled in the water, preferably with a generous portion of butter before stiring in the grits. Then make sure they are cooked long enough until good and soft, making sure they do not get too dry and stick to the bottom of the pot. They are very easy to make, just follow the directions on the box. May be seasoned with pepper if desired. Do not add sugar, syrup, honey, fruit, etc. Do serve with additional butter if desired. Also really good mixed with gravy, crumbled sausage or bacon. Avoid instant grits if possible. They are better than no grits, but a poor substitute. Quick grits do not take very long to cook and the taste is far better.

Being raised in the southern half of Alabama back in the 1960s, my father regularly made me breakfast before taking me to school. He always made a pot of grits. As an occasional treat, sometimes he would add a bit of cheddar cheese to them as they were cooking for cheese grits. Mighty good eating!

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."