What Mathman and Gnoahhh say is absolutely true... as far as they went. And I totally agree with Boltman because, except for my powder scale (originally, an Ohaus 505) which I had to replace with an RCBS 1010, I am still using the same reloading equipment I purchased about 55 years ago. Ohaus now makes all of RCBS's mechanical powder scales and got out of the direct sales and retail business (I found that out when I called them to replace my Ohaus 505). And because I WORE OUT my fine ol' Ohaus 505 which I dearly loved... and I don't care for the Ohaus-built RCBS 505 as much as I liked the original Ohaus 505, so I bought the top-of-the-line mechanical RCBS 1010 powder scale as a replacement.

However, even in a sporting rifle used for hunting or personal (non-competitive) target shooting, if you can get a slight "edge" in greater accuracy... and that is what "turns-your-clock-on", why not have it?!? Since I've always reloaded for relaxation and enjoyment, getting extremely accurate reloads is an added BONUS!

Let's just say that I'm satisfied with the relative accuracy of ALL of my rifles for the purpose for which they were purchased... because all of my rifles, except for my Ruger #1 RSI in 7x57mm and my Model 99 in .300 Savage, were purchased for a specific purpose.

Therefore, I don't have any "duplicate" rifles which is the reason I'm not a "collector". I.E., each rifle, pistol or shotgun I have has a specific use (hunting, self-defense, informal target shooting except for a few rare occasions when I won some "pocket change" from another loud-mouthed shooter, etc.) or is used to hunt specific game (squirrels, rabbits, quail, pheasants, grouse, deer, elk/moose, bears, etc.) under specific conditions (deep woods, open woods, open plains, mountains, etc.).

Yet, I obtained my Model 99 and my Ruger #1 RSI simply because I WANTED them for a good many years before allowing myself to obtain them without any specific reason or use except for my personal desire to own them.

However, the one thing I demand of all my rifles is ACCURACY... and in order to insure any lack of accuracy is MY fault rather than my rifle's or ammunition's fault, my handloads MUST be as accurate as possible. Thus the need to have the ability to determine the EXACT weight of my powder load down to as small a degree as possible is very important to me.

Incidentally, I also use all the other "bench-rest shooter's accuracy tricks" when I'm loading my own target or hunting loads which are 100% of my reloads.

Frankly, I sometimes question whether the increase (if any) in accuracy is WORTH all the time and trouble I take to do such a "precision job" of reloading, but I keep thinking it is and so, I maintain my reloading efforts the same way I've done it for over 50 years.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm really not SURE my reloads are MORE accurate than the reloads that some other reloaders throws together and hopes they'll go off and hit the paper somewhere... but, honestly, I believe they are. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...