I use a two man crosscut saw and sharpen my own. They can be purchased new or at flee markets. I actually have one about 6' long that I believe dates to the late 1700's.... based on what I've seen at Colonial Williamsburg. It's an "M" tooth design so there are no raker teeth. This is what I recommend to you if you can find one.... because it's easier to maintain.

I did a demonstration at a historic park a few years ago with a few of my saws. I brought what I thought was enough 10-12" green oak logs to last 4 hours. Well it didn't, the passerbys and I had it cut up and split in 1.5 hours. The ancient M tooth worked the best.

You can still get crosscut saw files. You can use a regular vice and common lumber scraps to hold it. Research a file holder (mill file) for leveling the teeth before filing for sharp. These can be made from a scrap of hardwood also. Remember to deepen the gullet the same amount as you remove from the top. Many old saws suffer from this neglect. Set the teeth 1/3 to 1/2 the thickness of the blade. This can be done many different ways.

Remember to remove the second handle of the two man if you are cutting alone. Cut wood as green as you an get. Fill an old dish soap bottle with kerosene to squirt in the kerf if things get tight. Try to get the logs raised to a comfortable height. I use a three legged stand on each end. Use shims so the cut doesn't pinch the saw blade.

My general experience with traditional tools is that if it's "too hard" you are doing something wrong. IMHO, life for the most part was slower back in the day, not harder. I've worked my arse off with modern tools. PM me and I will help any way I can.