Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Jim,

You make some good points, maybe overshooting the runway a bit. I have a Freedom Arms Model 97 in .357. I've had USFA SSA's in .357 (gave my pair of CAS USFA pistols to my son). The USFA's are well machined, but IMHO, aren't precise, tight revolvers in the same class with FA's. I have late 3rd Gen. Colts (photo below) that to me are just as well made as the USFA's. I've seen sloppy Colts, but the latest 3rd Gen guns are probably as precisely made as ever produced by Colt.

DF

[Linked Image]

I am not overshooting the runway at all.

I am not just talking about cylinder lockup. I had a Colt Python that locked up tight as a drum and shaved and spit bullet jack material out of the cylinder gap .. Tight lockup did not do that gun a damn bit of good. Actually, it exacerbated it's chamber alignment s problems.

Power throating and barrel dimensions are extremely important in revolver accuracy. And, in that regard the USFA guns are the equivilent on Freedom Arms guns. And yes, I have owned and shot many FA revolvers going back over 20 years now.

The post war SAA Colts are simply as bad as is gets. They still are. They hold value because also since WWII the name on the brrel is worth more than the gun itself..

Last edited by jim62; 03/22/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt