Originally Posted by fatjack34
OK...excuse the ignorance, but what are the differing factors on a true Mauser action and the so called mini Mauser action?

The main difference is that the "mini mauser" doesn't have a full length extractor and doesn't have the bolt face opened up for controlled-round feed. It is dual, front locking, push feed system. It still has a mauser-type blade ejector and split left lug. It is essentailly a Sako L46 clone.

The real "mini mauser" is the CZ 527 action (and older Brno ancestors), in that it retains the full length extractor, and CRF. Although it is hard to give a reason why you would want CRF on a mini cartridge - it isn't like we are talking about a DGR! Nevertheless, the is one of the reasons why i rather the CZ action to the Zastava, and one of the reasons why the CZ is considerably more expensive to make, and buy. I like the smoothness and feed reliablity that the combination of midline feed with CRF in the CZ provides. The CZ also has a little bolt support on the tang on the right hand side that prevents the "mauser wobble" and prevents bolt binding - a nice touch. The CZ has larger lugs, too. Lastly, the CZ is quite a bit lighter (and hence is often actually referred to as the "micro mauser") and is made with CrMo steel, whereas i think the Zastavas are made with a manganese alloy reciever and chrome vanadium steel barrel. I think the CZ is a forged reciever and cast bolt, the Zastava has a forged bolt.

As you may have guessed, i am a huge fan of the little CZ 527 action! But they are much more expensive than the Zastava. In Australia, we can also buy the Zastava actions and barreled actions. I wish CZ would do the same, as do a lot of folks. They would be the perfect subject for a PPC or Grendel project.

The other really good buy in the new "mini action" market are the Sabatti 600-class actions from Italy. These are a midline, push feed, dual lugged front locking system which i think were based on either one of the early Sakos or Tikkas. In fact, i heard rumours they bought the old machinery straight off the Finns.

Last edited by dhg; 04/23/12.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums