Having spent a few years as a guide in a somewhat misspent youth (not Africa), and having observed a lot since, I know of few professions where tribal lore seems more firmly imbedded. The whole weatherby legacy is an example. I am convinced that particular prejudice does in fact pre-date most of the current crop of PHs' births. And just like their fathers, the same guy who currently holds his sport's weatherby .300 in disdain will, without hesitation, hand out his loaner .300 Win Mag to the next.

I would also guess that campfire dialogue (the real ones - not here) involve incompetent client stories in one form or another at least at a 4 to 1 ratio. I suspect most of us have laughed at a guide or PH's tale of the client who was afraid of his shadow, couldn't see the buff - elephant - fill in the blank - at 25 yards, etc etc. Bad shooting and "bad" calibers invariably form a rich content to many of those tales. And there is nothing wrong with any of that; it is highly entertaining. The last camp I was in had a Spanish Grandee and his son, who took an hour to dress each morning, looking like they stepped out of the pages of the latest Beretta catalogue. Best I could tell their shooting technique consisted of wearing the animal down by sustained fire. Will make a great campfire story about which Nick and I will laugh for years. It also ignores the vast majority of this year's clients who shot competently and well.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill