While I was out hunting this morning, I got to thinking about this thread and what kind of data and information I could add, besides shooting paper and steel and decided to put up some numbers on coyotes I've taken with both calibers. For many years I've kept very accurate records of the coyotes I've taken, rifle, load, day/date, distance, location, weather conditions, etc..I went through my journals and added up the distance per kill on 100 coyotes for each rifle.

[Linked Image]

This is my Surgeon .308. The load used in the comparison is the same as my light .308. The velocity is the same, 155 scenar at 2950fps.

[Linked Image]

This is my GAP Crusader .260. The load for this rifle is the 139 scenar at 2850fps. Both rifles are nearly identical....both sport S&B 5-25X56 PMII's, Mcmillan A5's, 26" MTU barrels, Jewell triggers set the same.

The farthest shot on 100 coyotes for the .308 was 866 meters. The closest was 31 meters. 16 shots were 400+ meters. The average shot was 274.28 meters.

For the .260 the farthest shot was 882 meters. The closest was 66 meters. 21 shots were 400+ meters. The average shot was 303.08 meters.

That's some pretty solid real world data there. I was a little surprised. Remember, coyotes aren't big game animals....I just thought this might be interesting to look at.

After I was finished comparing the .260 and .308's 100 coyotes, I did the same numbers with my Surgeon 6XC. It was 12 meters farther shot average than the .260.....but that could be another story in itself.....grin!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]