Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
My thinking, and the more trained individuals like KG and Sagebrush can correct me, is that handguns are primarily offensive weapons - concealable, easily transported, and used quickly.
This is not to say a handgun can't be used for defensive purposes, We all know it can.

The shotgun is a primarily a defensive weapon, able to toss out a lot of lead from a fixed position into short range targets. This isn't to say it can't be used in an offensive way, as we all know it can...

...Respectfully Rancho....I suggest that it's just the opposite. The handgun is by nature a defensive weapon. It's very design and purpose is to be convenient and utilized in a reactionary mode until you can get to more suitable weaponry. There's nothing that it will do that a long gun won't do better except for being handy. If you have a long gun in your hands that indicates that the element of surprise and reaction is compromised---you know that there's a threat and have prepared yourself for it's impending occurance. There's a fine line in supposed "defensive scenarios" (i.e. house clearings) where the prey becomes the predator and go from defensive to offensive.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.