Originally Posted by LRF
The 35 Rem is the second rarist in the Rule book. Win 458 is third.

Bob,
Curious do you remember the 405 much? Can you provide details as to how the barrel was marked and SN range? Any info is of interest. The rim on a 405 would have been problematic in the feed so I can see why so few. Was it on a standard length action our a "magnum" length action like used for the 300 & 375 H&H calibers?

LRF: It was awhile ago, but I remember the stock was low comb;serial number was low 5 digit and in any event "pre war".Dolls head tang, and I want to say it was a magnum action.I did not check the box but it may have been slanted.I don't recall any Super Grade markings and the stock was low comb standard grade.

The barrel was 375 or 458 profile, heavy but shorter...24"...it was the barrel and the length that caught my eye,because it did not "fit"....I remember saying to myself,looking at it from the counter into a glass case... "What's a pre war bolt handle doing on a short barreled 375 with a heavier contour?"...and the 458 came later so I knew it was not one of them..The configuration of the rifle was not like anything I knew of.... confused

I asked the guy in charge could I see it? He opened the case, handed it to me and the markings were "405 Winchester",with the usual and ordinary proof marks and other stuff.I asked him about it,and he said they had a factory letter of authentication...the price was $17,000,and this was easily over 10 years ago.I was told there were two made,and no one seemed to know where the other one was located anymore.

Where it is today I have no idea. It was here in New England when I saw it.By that point I had seen examples in 35 Rem, 300 Savage,and at shows in Vegas the 9mm and the 7.65mm...in short, all of them that we are aware of...but never knew of the 405.I think if you dig deep inbto Rule's book you will see a footnote reference to the 405 having been made.I have not looked in a long time so this is from memory.

A mysterious rifle, indeed,and part of what makes pre 64's fun rifles.They have some history. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.