A lot depends on what you want to spend. A few months ago, I bought a Scientific Anglers System 2 from Sierrra Trading Post for $50 or $60 with one of their email sales offers. They used to be made in England, but I believe they are now made in China.

It's been almost twenty years since I was really into flyfishing. At that time, the System 2 was often considered one of the best bargains in a reel that could stand up to big fish and blistering runs. It's not neccesarily a good looking reel, but it supposedly has the guts to get the job done at a reasonable price.

With that said, I also have a Ross reel that I like a lot. They used to be made in the U.S., and I think some of the more expensive models might still be. I wouldn't be afraid to own a made in U.S.A. Ross reel if you are looking to spend a few hundred $.

Someone gave me a copy of a recent Field and Stream magazine where they compared fly reels at the $100 price point. I believe an L.L. Bean model finished first in the comparison. They were pretty impressed with the reel at that price, FWIW.

Beyond that, you could spend all kinds of money on Abel reels, etc. I've never owned a Lamson, but they have always had a very good reputation.

Here is a link to the F&S article:

$100 Fly Reel Comparison