Originally Posted by dmsbandit
Who the heck carries a 26+ inch barrel around in a hunting gun unless it's a single shot? I don't think you using OVERBORE cartridges is a true repsentation of the issue. Overbore cartidges as a whole are UNDER achievers and need all the help they can get to reach their "claimed" numbers. the 6.5x284 nearly equals the 264mag, the 280 nearly eqauls the 7mm RM, the the 25-06 barely beats a well loaded 257 'bob. the 35whelen is anything but overbore.
Your obvious experience with these "OVERBORE" beauties almost matches your powder experiences. You'd have to be a "special gifts" reloader to find the 25/06 barely beating a 'Bob......

My point is that you are speaking completely out of your league. Velocity is the product of the pressure curve and coordinating that curve with barrel length is always a fair-to-middling idea. In particular, I was commenting on the falsehood of your previous statement. Best to speak of what you know and leave the rocket science to the scientists.....

Knowing you can't recall your previous statement, here it is:
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
The powder giving the highest velocity in a cartridge will give the highest velocity regardless of barrel length.
Sometimes it's best to quit while you're ahead, but I suspect you've got a reply coming my way.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.