Fate, unusually good karma, God's will or whatever?

I seldom buy a daily paper these days, but for the Sunday paper. Hardly any ads in it now, especially firearms ads. Stopped at the grocery for some other things yesterday, grabbed a paper on a whim.

Never got around to reading most of it until bedtime and there's an ad for a M64 30-30 for $600 in a town about 20 minutes distant. Figured it'd be gone, but called this morning. Still available. Down there at warp speed, figuring for that money it has to have little finish left on the metal or some other "defects"?

Walked into the guy's house, bent down to fuss over his dog a bit. 'Bout crapped when the guy handed the M64 to me. Easily 95% or better condition and stiff enough that it's not been fired much (zero wear on loading gate). He bought it new in the mid 50s, hasn't hunted in over 20 years. Serial # indicates it was made in 1953.

No haggles on this deal, just handed him the cash, said thank you and ran away.

Been looking for one of these that I could afford, for many (many) years. My dad had a similar Winchester prior to being drafted in the summer of '41. Sold it to one of his buddies for a few bucks before he left the farm for basic. Could only be better, if the old devil was still around to shoot the rifle I picked up today.

Sure made my day. Stopped at the local Wally's on the way home, picked up some 150gr Core Lokts and headed for our gun club. It ain't gonna need much work before deer season. ;O)

Only glitches are the missing front sight hood, a few small dull spots on the buttstock and it's had swivels installed. The front one replaces the original mag tube plug, but he gave me the original plug.

Happiest ol' bastard in this town, this evening. ;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.