Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
On a side note, I was at the range the other day and 4 of the 5 rigs around me had mzl breaks on them. Very glad it was time to leave...

And I'm not sure how to say this nicely and it don't apply in all cases but it appears that often those breaks are on guns who's owners don't shoot them very often. Um, was that PC enough?

Dober

Agreed. The only muzzle breaks I see are the ones sitting in gun racks in the local gun stores, gathering dust, because no one wants them.

A muzzle break usually means someone bought too much gun for leisurely target shooting or the type of hunting they actually do. IMHO, it's like putting a band aid on a cancer tumor. A gun like that may be perfect for 500 yd. and 1000 yd. professional competition, but not shooting paper targets at 100-200 yards in the back field, or old shale pit.

There's an old saying about guns that are too light and recoil too much, the old timers liked to say "it kills at one end, and maims at the other"

With muzzle breaks, the new saying is: "shoulders will heal, but eardrums don't"

I'd rather have a gun that recoils too much, and put a recoil pad on it, then one with a short barrel that's too loud and blasty. I know a few guys that hunt with big magnum handguns, and have to use earmuffs. Hunting with earmuffs on, can sort of take the fun out of it.

Last edited by CaptainCrossman; 09/28/12.