Originally Posted by 163bc
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Originally Posted by 163bc
Va. produces some incredible bucks. I've been to the state show a few times and the deer are quite impressive. The Eastern region is held in Franklin, Va. a 4 hour drive from Northern Va. I've had several deer I didn't enter cause it was so far away and it takes an entire weekend. Wish they would at least move it around the state from time to time. 163bc

I agree it should be moved around or they should add more show sites. However, if I killed a buck that was going to rank in the top 10 all time for the state, I'd find a way to be there.

Agreed & BTW I have taken bucks that score in the top ten and I managed to get them there. I've had others including deer my son & daughter took that would have qualified for state recognition if we could have gotten them there. With the kids in college at the time it just was not doable. I'm in northern Va., Franklin is 4 + hours away and Harrisonburg is 2 hours away. I can't enter in Western show in Harriosnburg because I have to go to the Eastern Region in Franklin 1st. Takes 2 full weekends if the state finals are in Harrisonburg. Some folks myself included just don't have that kind of time. Plus many from the region that does not hold the finals that year don't go to the finals and as a result many fine deer are not oficially entered in the state finals. Don't get me wrong. I love the VPSA and am grateful that they do what they do. I just wish it was closer or they moved it around from year to year.

What I meant was, if I killed a buck that qualified for an all time state record, then I'd make plans to be there. The previous poster made it sound like there are "lots" of deer taken better than the new, #2 all time buck from Surry County. I just don't buy that.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 10/01/12.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA