Great Moon shot Rock Chuck!
Rather amazing what one can do when not crippled by only knowing how to use a camera in auto mode.

It seems it will be all we see in the years to come.
The art of taking a photograph is rapidly being lost.
I seldom see natural light photos with interesting shadows anymore.
The new digital age is making people auto dependent with the cameras they purchase. I have a feeling few have a clue what to do other than set it on auto and point and shoot.

The new digital cameras are not any different than existing cameras. All the new SLR cameras allow you for doing everything manual if you want. You can even focus the lens manually if you want to. The main difference between film and digital cameras is that a film is not needed for taking a picture with the digital one, and also that you have a whole bunch of options at the touch of a button.

If you look at the photos in this forum, you will see that quite a lot of them are taken with the camera set to manual mode:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28

You will notice some pictures where the water looks milky. Well, to take such a picture with a digital camera, one must set some of its functions out of fully auto. I use both a Nikon F3 film SLR and a digital camera, but in some areas i can't find 25 ASA films anymore, and if I use slide films, it takes a fortune to get it processed in New Jersey, and I have to wait for weeks to see how the pictures look.

Taking a picture with any film camera does not guarantee that what one sees through the viewfinder is what will appear on the film. That "beauty" we have talked about here exists mostly in one's mind at the moment one takes the picture, and it rarely shows on film they way one sees it when taking the picture. That's exactly what happens when one takes a picture with a digital camera, and that's why some of us take a whole bunch of pictures to keep the very few good ones and discard the rest. And yes, a digital camera set to full auto gives you a great advantage, since it increases the likelihood of increasing the number of good pictures. However, taking good photos always requires learned skills regardless of the type of camera used. Finally, we have had-for years now-fully automatic film cameras.

Last edited by Ray; 01/09/06.