I'm still going with the rationale that its what works best with each shooter and each weapon. High, low or in between.

I had a coach step on a junior shooters legs of mine once. Once. I told him to get off. He said she could not shoot well with the foot/leg in that position in prone. I explained to him we'd tried the "correct" way and so on and were not new at this game... She proceeded shortly there after to be 3rd in the nation in the Whistler Boy Match at Camp Perry...
He never said another word to me. Ever.

I still think mostly the elbow position is in an effort to keep the head up right on the stock. When your ears are not level the brain can think you are falling and start sending motor signals to correct when not needed. You are trying to be relaxed in the shot, and the movement won't help you any. Thats from the target side of it.

Hunting, IMHO, can be totally different. In that if you have time to set up the shot the correct way offhand, then you had MORE than enough time to find a field expedient BETTER rest. So the teaching there would be more the master of trigger control and lean into the rifle, use a sling, and get the shots off quickly IMHO.

And like Blackheart I'ds tart with a 22 for sure... 5000 rounds of ammo is a good start. Thats after I'd have him dry fire it till I was happy, then start mixing in live ammo, but go back to dry fire to make sure he isn't working up a flinch...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....