When TUBB wrote about his method he created quite a stir because it ran counter to the convention at the time (shoot within your hold, and work to minimize your hold). At that time, he was shooting an Anschutz trigger on his Model 70 match rifle. Today it's an Anschutz trigger on his TUBB2K. Many folks gave his method an honest to goodness try, but not many came away with much success. I think that part of the problem was that his method required exquisite trigger control which was more doable with the Anschutz trigger. The vast majority of highpower is done with a Service Rifle, who's trigger runs a minimum of 4.5 lbs.

At the time his book came out, I was coaching with a High School Small Bore and Air Rifle program. We taught the conventional method, which continues to be valid today. One of our kids went on to win the NCAA Air Rifle Championship (which is all standing) in his freshman year, and won the World Cup in Munich for Air Rifle using the conventional technique.

Back in the world of High Power (with wind at the range), Carl Bernosky recently tied Gary Anderson's record for Standing Slow Fire of 200-15X. I haven't asked him recently if how he holds on the target, but at recently as a few years back, he was a "hold 'em and squeeze 'em" kind of guy.

GDT's an innovator and he found something that worked for him. He even shared his secrets via his book. Unfortunately, it wasn't replicable for many.