Originally Posted by MILES58
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
If a good Boxer in its prime were to get a good grip right off the bat, he'd likely get the wolf to let go and look for an easier meal. This one probably wasn't able to get a grip before the wolf had the advantage. Wolves don't generally keep fighting any gripping animal they're trying to make a meal of, whether it be badger or Boxer. This is because if a wolf were to do that on a regular basis, even though his larger size might assure ultimate victory, he'd likely become lame from such injuries, become unable to hunt, and eventually starve to death as a result, thus not passing the genetic tendency to the next generation.

Where the hell do you get this nonsense? Wolves are in the business of killing dogs and other wolves. Boxers are pets. Wolves kill animals as big as moose just for dinner, not for territory or some other reason that would motivate them a lot more. I live with wolves and they have zero hesitation killing a dog. For the last 4 years I have been very circumspect about checking the area I hunt birds in for indications wolves are present before I put my dog down to hunt. Wolves will risk a confrontation with humans to kill a dog. They will turn on pack of hounds when they feel like it.

There are no dogs that are wolf proof or capable of dealing with a wolf intent on killing it. If there were, people in wolf country would be using them instead of losing stock to wolves. They might work deterring wolves in Florida, but they just turn into wolf [bleep] up here.

I disagree, russian ovcharkas have been doing it for 100's of years. Lots of cattle farmers are using them in sconni now, i know more than one wolf has been killed by a team of ovcharkas.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"