Thanksgiving weekend here is either sex, so I figured I would at least get a doe.

Some folks from Dallas who own an adjoining 70 acres decided to come out for the weekend and target shoot all weekend.

Finally, yesterday afternoon, I hit the woods again with 20mph swirling winds.

I walked into the woods and stopped about twenty yards from a treestand, just getting the feel of the woods, when a small buck stepped out not 30' from me. He wasn't legal (we have antler restrictions) so I just watched him.

He was maybe 30" at he shoulder, 90-100lb on the hoof and the craziest 7pt (4x3) I have ever seen. His rack was no more than 10" wide and 12-14" tall with tall, skinny points coming off of skinny beams. The points were gathered and twisted together like a bunch of twigs tossed together.

He stopped and stared at me for several minutes, trying to figure out what the strange new piece of furniture was in his living room, then slowly turned around and walked back into the woods the same way he came. No sign or sounds of alarm, just walked away.

That was the only deer I saw all weekend.

Maybe I'll go up to KS after Christmas and try for one or two does to fill the freezer. My lovely bride has been hankering for some fresh venison, so I am REQUIRED to go hunting! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell