Originally Posted by m77
Hi there.

In reality a 338 Win Mag is not really a magnum. It Achieves only moderate velocities compared to other magnums.

I would like to know from the experts or regular long range guys here, what is the 338 Win Mag capable of. On large game like Kudu, Oryx, Wildebeest and Eland what is the max distance you would use a 338 Win Mag for? What bullet weight?

I know this is pretty open for discussion, but shooting metal plates and paper at long range is not hunting and I would rather find out from you guys how it performs on game before one try something stupid smile

Thanks

Pieter
..............Very good questions regarding the 338 WM. Aside from the 30 & 375 cals, the 338 cal is another top all around favorite of mine. No doubt the 338 Win Mag is most popular 338 for many reasons.

However I cannot comment on how a 338 WM would do at longer ranges on African plains game because as of yet I haven`t been to Africa yet, and have yet to kill anything with my own 338. laugh laugh

As most everyone would do for re-assurance purposes just as you are doing here; asking viable questions for a potential new rounds usage, there are other 338s where no questions as to capabilities need be asked.

I always thought of owning a 338 but never got around to it until about a couple of years ago.

Although the 338 Lapua and 338 RUM fall into about the same category, the 338-378 Wby is one round where the only questions should be,,,rifle how much?,,,is in my budget to buy and to reload for?

So after 40+ years of hunting and shooting, my first and only 338 rifle to date as of roughly a couple of years ago is the 338-378 Wby Accumark w/brake. Preferred the Wby Accumark`s looks and format vs a Remmy chambered in a 338 RUM. And I can always load it down to medium to high 340 Wby and 338 RUM performance levels if desired and sometimes do.

When it came to the 338-378 Wby, I felt going in, that there were no questions of re-assurances that needed to be asked. I just jumped right in.

There are always opinions for "re-assurance" that are asked for and should be asked for. But then again there are certain rounds that should leave no doubts on the table whatsoever.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger