Originally Posted by m77
Hi there.

In reality a 338 Win Mag is not really a magnum. It Achieves only moderate velocities compared to other magnums.

I would like to know from the experts or regular long range guys here, what is the 338 Win Mag capable of. On large game like Kudu, Oryx, Wildebeest and Eland what is the max distance you would use a 338 Win Mag for? What bullet weight?

I know this is pretty open for discussion, but shooting metal plates and paper at long range is not hunting and I would rather find out from you guys how it performs on game before one try something stupid smile

Thanks

Pieter

Pieter,
I used my Pre 64 Model 70 338 WM in South Africa in 2000. It worked very well on Kudu, Wildebeest, Zebra, Impala, Gemsbok, and every other animal I pulled a trigger on. Eland wasn't on the bag list, but I am quite confident it will easily take an eland with no problem. In fact, where it would be legal I wouldn't feel under gunned using one on Cape Buff.

My pre 64 runs a 22" custom barrel and runs about 2680 fps through the chrono. My longest shot in South Africa was about 300 yards for a Blue Wildebeest. I also shot a large moose with it in Alberta Canada (about the size of a large Eland) and it went down like hit with a sledgehammer.

My Classic Model 70 .338 runs a 26" barrel and runs about 120 fps faster. I've shot elk (about the size of a large Kudu) at 600 yards and it punched through just fine using the Nosler Partition. In Africa, I used the Swift A-frames to great affect. They both shoot to the same point of aim, along with the Hornady Spire Points- all in 225 grain.

Hope this helps you out. I would think you would get this type of results with the .300 Win Mag also with good bullets. Using the Ultra Mags, Edge, Lapua, or Weatherby versions will gain you a couple hundred yards ballistically, but I doubt they will kill any better at longer ranges than the good old .338 Win Mag. In fact, I'm wrestling right now whether to build a .338 RUM or just stay with my tried and true old fashioned "Non magnum Magnum" and just keep killing critters with it.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.