Originally Posted by dubya
Hey fella's, I've got a buddy who is new to rifle shooting and he wants to get into long range shooting and hunting. We're talking 300-1000 yards. He's dead set on getting a 300 win mag. I've been trying to explain that he doesn't NEED a magnum of any flavor and that it'll be harder to learn (recoil & muzzle blast), and more expensive. I said if he absolutely needs a mag to look into a 7 rem mag or even 264 win mag but from people he's talked to at work the 7 kicks more than a 300 and the 300 won't be affected by wind as much as a 7 mag will. I tend to disagree with both statements. Im also new to long range shooting which is why i need your help! What would be ideal for shooting and hunting (whitetail & elk) at long ranges, say 400+ yard's? And between the 300 win mag and 7 rem mag, which is better overall and has the best selection of high BC bullets?

Thanks!
Cory
..............Is your buddy completely new to rifle shooting? Does not own any kind of hunting rifle now? If so, he is imo putting his cart well before his horse where any longer ranged hunting is concerned.

Like others have mentioned, better that he first start with a 260, a 7/08 or a 308, get his feet wet at the range, go on a few hunts here and there while getting in some long range target practice during the process.

If he is a reasonably big and strong guy who might be relatively impervious to the heavier recoiling mags and wants to jump right in right away, either the 7mm RM or the 300 Win would fill the need as long as he does his part.

Whether he wants to jump right in with one of the biggys or go instead as reco`d with a std cartridge, then either way, range work and some long range target practice would be a must before any hunt.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger